Sunday, September 22, 2019
Get Adobe Flash player

(CNN) — Celebrities from Lady Gaga to Linkin Park rallied their fans to ante up for earthquake and tsunami relief in Japan.

Lady Gaga is offering a red-and-white wristband, with the words “We pray for Japan” and an image of the singer’s monster paw gesture.

“Little Monsters, show your support for Japan with this ‘We Pray For Japan’ wristband!” her website said, encouraging her fans to donate. “All proceeds go directly to Japan relief efforts.”

Gaga also directed fans to the Citizen Effect web page where they can contribute to a campaign by Google CEO Eric Schmidt and his wife Wendy. The couple will match the first $100,000 donated to help American Red Cross relief efforts in Japan.

Citizen Effect uses social networking to support charity efforts.
Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park has designed a T-shirt to benefit Music for Relief’s Tsunami Relief in Japan. Donations of $10 can be made by texting “MFR” to 85944.

Music for Relief also established a fund after the Haiti earthquake.

Starting Tuesday, people wanting to donate also will be able to contribute at downloadtodonate.org. Anyone giving $10 or more will be able to download a collection of new songs.

The Red Cross appeared to be the charity of choice among celebs, who encouraged their fan bases to make donations via text message.

“Imagine… if we ALL texted REDCROSS to 90999 we’d have raised over 60million dollars for #JAPAN REFLIEF! BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE! BE!,” said a post on singer Katy Perry’s Twitter on Sunday night.

Likewise, rapper P. Diddy, talk show host Conan O’Brien and R&B singer Chris Brown implored their followers to help the victims of the disaster.

(Fast Company) — An earthquake with a magnitude of 8.9 hit Japan today, resulting in tsunami warnings for 20 countries, as well as California and Hawaii. Crisis mappers wasted no time responding: In under 2.5 hours Google launched its person finder application, which was also used when New Zealand’s 6.3 quake struck last month, and a local developer in Tokyo, Shu Sigashi, a member of the OpenStreetMap Foundation in Japan, quickly put up a localized Ushahidi crisis platform.

Crisis mapping’s reach only goes as far as it is utilized, so the key now is getting the word out that online tools are available to help report the missing. Google’s person finder app is already rapidly increasing in usage. Within a couple hours 2,000 reports had been logged.

If you type in the name, “Yoshi,” in Google’s app, results come up that indicate whether people with that name have been reported as alive or missing.

Hawaii’s Pacific Disaster Center has updated tsunami warnings and an interactive map with information on the risks present on each island.

The UN satellite monitoring group that teamed up with Google and George Clooney in Sudan could also be activated at the request of the Japanese government at any moment.

“We’re on standby basically,” UNOSAT’s Lars Bromley tells Fast Company. “The Japanese have a very good disaster satellite monitoring program run out of their space agency (JAXA). We’ll assist if they request it.”

Another Fukushima nuclear plant blast injures 11

Posted by arnon_k On March - 14 - 2011 3 COMMENTS

What appears to be another hydrogen blast has occurred at a nuclear power plant in Fukushima. No damage to the reactor chamber has been reported, but 11 people have been injured.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says what it believes was a hydrogen blast occurred at 11:01 AM on Monday at the No.3 reactor of Tokyo Electric Power Company’s Fukushima No.1 nuclear power plant. The agency says it has so far observed no abnormal rise in radiation around the compound of the plant.

The company says the blast injured 11 people, including 4 of its employees and 4 Self-Defense Force members.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency has advised anyone remaining within 20 kilometers of the power plant to take shelter inside buildings as soon as possible. About 500 people are thought to be still in the area.

A similar hydrogen blast occurred at the No.1 reactor at the same plant on Saturday.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters that he has received a report that the latest blast has left the container of No.3 reactor intact. He said the likelihood of large volumes of radioactive materials being dispersed in the air is low.

Video footage shows that the top of the building housing the reactor has been blown off, as in Saturday’s blast.

Fears of an explosion grew when the water level of the No. 3 reactor dropped, exposing fuel rods, and a reaction with the steam generated a large amount of hydrogen. The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says that even if the top of the building has blown off, the reactor chamber will not be affected.

TAG CLOUD