Saturday, September 22, 2018
Get Adobe Flash player

Interior reshuffle approved

Posted by arnon_k On August - 31 - 2010 1 COMMENT

The cabinet on Tuesday approved the appointments of high-level officials proposed by the Interior Ministry.

The appointments, effective from Oct 1, are as follows:

– Vichien Chaovalit, director-general of the Community Development Department, to be director-general of the Provincial Administration Department;
– Surachai Khan-asa, Samut Prakan governor, to be director-general of the Community Development Department;
– Kwanchai Wongnitikorn, deputy permanent secretary for interior, to be director-general of the Local Administration Department;
– Wiboon Sanguanpong, deputy permanent secretary for interior, to be director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department;
– Sumeth Saengnimnual, Chiang Rai governor, to be inspector-general;
– Surapol Pongthadsirikul, Chachoengsao governor, to be deputy permanent secretary for interior;
– Wallop Pingpong, Samut Sakhon governor, to be deputy permanent secretary for interior; and
– Chonchuen Boonyasas, Uthai Thani governor, to be deputy permanent secretary for interior.

Sources said most of the officials appointed are close to Saksayam Chidchob, chairman of a working committee of Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul and younger brother of Newin Chidchob, de facto leader of the Bhumjaithai Party.

The cabinet has previously approved the highly controversial appointment of Mongkol Surasajja, chief of the Provincial Administration Department, as the new permanent secretary. He is a former governor of Buri Ram, Mr Newin’s home province, and was 54th on the seniority list for the job.

The cabinet also approved on Tuesday the Office of the Civil Service Commission’s proposal to issue a regulation to protect officials and those working with state agencies from sexual harassment.

M79 fired at NBT buildings

Posted by arnon_k On August - 31 - 2010 ADD COMMENTS

A device believed to be a grenade exploded outside the head office of the National Broadcasting Service (NBT) on Bangkok’s Vibhavadi Rangsit road on Tuesday afternoon, acting government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said.

The blast, which caused no injuries, occurred in front of the buildings housing the state-run NBT about 1.45pm. it damaged a van and four sedans.

The buildings house the NBT TV studios and the Public Relations Department.

Police said they believed it was the grenade launched from the Don Muang tollway.

“On circumstantial evidence it’s likely to have been an M79,” Mr Panitan said.

Prime Minister’s Office Minister Ong-art Klapaiboon visited the scene and said later he did not think the attack had anything to do with NBT programming.

The station allowed the red-shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) to host shows with government representatives.

The capital has been under emergency rule since April 7 in response to anti-government protests led by the UDD, in which 91 people died and about 1,900 were injured in clashes between protesters and the army.

A handful of explosions in recent weeks have unnerved the Bangkok residents, who are still recovering from the deadly street protests in April and May.

A grenade blast last Thursday — the second in a month at the King Power duty-free shopping complex — injured a security guard and ensured that Bangkok will be the last province kept under emergency rule, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva confirmed.

On July 30, a grenade hidden in a plastic rubbish bag injured a man in his 30s who was scavenging for scrap.

A man linked to the red-shirt demonstrations was arrested over the explosion and police said the suspect, 23-year-old Sorathien Singkanya, admitted that the grenade belonged to him but had denied planting it himself.

That attack came less than a week after a small bomb exploded at a Bangkok bus stop, killing one person and injuring 10.

On March 15, an M79 grenade was fired into the compound of the First Infantry Regiment on Vibhavadi Rangsit road, injuring two soldiers.

The gallery below shows the damage caused by the grenade attack in front of the NBT station on Aug 31, 2010.

Montenegro PM: Thaksin will be caught if guilty

Posted by arnon_k On August - 31 - 2010 1 COMMENT

Ousted Thaksin Shinawatra will be caught if his name contained in Interpol’s list, Montenegro Prime Minister Milan Rosen said after the meeting with Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya. Montenegro PM also insists that the Thaksin case does not damage relationship of Thailand and Montenegro.

Rosen explained about visa and Montenegro nationality approval for ousted Thaksin is the policy of his government that normally gives for investors who invest in Montenegro so it does not mean to interfere in Thailand’s internal affair.

Moreover, Montenegro and other countries hope Thailand will solve the problem by peaceful mean, Montenegro PM said.

Democrat does not abandoned me: Sirichok

Posted by arnon_k On August - 30 - 2010 1 COMMENT

Songkhla Democrat MP Sirichok Sopha has refused that the party abandoned him after meeting with Victor Bout. MP who is dubbed as “Mr.Wallpaper” insists that the meeting does not mean interference the case, but to find out more information for Prime Minister to make the decision what to do next.

Sirichok said that he does not talk with Deputy Prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban after the rumor emerged yet, but believed that the deputy well understands his work.

Sirichok confirmed that his action will not make things go mess or damage international relation. For clearly understanding, I will explain any information in the party meeting on Aug 31, Mr.Wallpaper said.

TAG CLOUD