Saturday, December 16, 2017
Get Adobe Flash player

Internet connection fees cut by operators

Posted by arnon_k On December - 12 - 2012 ADD COMMENTS

Myanmar’s Red Link Communications, the service provider for WiMax, has reduced the initial fees for WiMax Internet connection and plans to cut the monthly fees in early 2013.

Initial fees for WiMax Internet connection has been reduced from 630,000 kyats (about Bt22,800) to 450,000 kyats, while monthly fees and the plan rates currently remain the same, according to the sources.

Red Link is selling WiMax with the initial fees of 360,000 kyats in a single promotion event on February 2, 2013, and the company plans to waive initial fees in 2015, according to representatives from Red Link Company.

The company has six types of WiMax service plans, which are Silver, Gold, Gold Plus, Platinum, Platinum Plus and Diamond. Monthly fees are charged depending on speed and usage quota. .

All Fees should be paid in the US dollars equivalent to market exchange rate in kyats.

Internet users can also use prepaid cards and the company is using data usage plan for the prepaid system. The prices vary with different usage plans, for instance, 16,000 kyats for 1GB and 27,000 kyats for 2 GB.

Other network operators have also reduced fees. Myanmar Posts and Telecommunications has reduced the initial fees for ADSL internet lines from 500,000 kyats to 50,000 kyats, and Yatanarpon Teleport has also reduced the fees from 500,000 kyats to 100,000 kyats.

Typhoon-hit Philippines appeals for help

Posted by Nuttapon_S On December - 10 - 2012 ADD COMMENTS

Government and UN ask international community to help the victims of Typhoon Bopha, as death toll rises to nearly 650.

The Philippine government and the United Nations are launching a global appeal to help the victims of Typhoon Bopha, as the toll continues to climb, while hundreds of people are still missing after the storm devastated the south of the country.

At least 650 people are killed, while millions are left homeless and in desperate need of food aid and other basic goods, the country’s disaster chief in Manila told Al Jazeera.

Benito Ramos said that 647 bodies had been found and 900 people were still missing, including hundreds of fishermen.

Rescuers continued searching for bodies or signs of life under tonnes of fallen trees and boulders in the worst-hit town of New Bataan, where rocks, mud and other rubble destroyed landmarks, making it doubly difficult to search places where houses once stood.

“This is a scale the Philippines has not previously seen, we’re talking about tens of thousands of homes destroyed across southeast Mindanao,” Joe Curry of Catholic Relief Service told Al Jazeera.

“People live in fragile housing and when storms like this hit … it wipes out entire communities.”

Hundreds of refugees, rescuers and aid workers took a break on Sunday to watch the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez fight on a big TV screen, only to be dismayed by their hero’s sixth-round knockout.

Nearly 400,000 people, mostly from Compostela Valley and nearby Davao Oriental province, have lost their homes and are crowded inside evacuation centres or staying with relatives.

Missing fishermen

Families and fishing companies reported losing contact with more than 300 fishermen at sea.

Ramos said the authorities were unprepared for the unprecedented weather in those areas worst affected, and that it was struggling to cope with the disaster.

“Right now, we have some international organisations and governments assisting us, but our supplies are still insufficient at this moment,” he said.

The fishermen from southern General Santos city and nearby Sarangani province left a few days before Bopha hit the main southern island of Mindanao on Tuesday, causing deadly flash floods.

Ramos said the fishermen were headed to the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea and to the Pacific Ocean and there had been no contact from them for a week.

He said the coast guard, navy and fishing vessels had launched a search.

Benigno Aquino III, the Philippine president, declared a state of national calamity on Friday, which allows for price controls on basic commodities in typhoon-affected areas and the quick release of emergency funds.

Police break up anti-China rallies in Vietnam

Posted by Nuttapon_S On December - 9 - 2012 ADD COMMENTS

Vietnamese police detain at least 20 activists as hundreds protest China’s claim over oil and gas-rich South China Sea.

Vietnamese police have broken up anti-China protests in two cities and detained 20 people in the first such demonstrations since tensions between the communist neighbours flared anew over rival claims to the oil and gas-rich South China Sea.

Hundreds of protesters, some waving banners and chanting “Down with China’s aggression!”, were intercepted by security forces as they tried to approach the Chinese embassy in the capital, Hanoi, on Sunday.

Activists at the scene said that the 20 demonstrators were rounded up into a bus after the half-hour rally, the fifth such display of public discontent in Hanoi this year against Beijing’s perceived aggression in the sea.

Security forces also broke up a similar anti-China protest in the southern economic hub of Ho Chi Minh City.

Protesters shouted “Down with China” and carried banners bearing the slogan “China’s military expansion threatens world peace and security.”

Using loudspeakers, authorities urged them to disperse and tried to reassure them that “the Communist Party and government are resolutely determined to defend our country’s sovereignty and territory through peaceful means based on international law.”

Territorial dispute

Vietnam and China have long sparred over who owns the South China Sea, which is also claimed in whole or part by Taiwan, Brunei, Malaysia, and the Philippines.

Vietnam last week alleged that Chinese shipping vessels sabotaged one of its seismic survey vessels in the South China Sea.

This week the government warned Beijing not to do that again and presented a list of its violations in the disputed sea.

China responded by denying the allegations and demanding that Vietnam stop its navy harassing Chinese boats.

China recently issued new passports containing a map showing the sea as belonging to it, causing anger in Hanoi and other regional states.

The South China Sea is strategically significant, home to some of the world’s most important shipping lanes and believed to be rich in resources.

Burma apologises for police attack on protesting monks

Posted by Nuttapon_S On December - 8 - 2012 ADD COMMENTS

The government in Burma has apologised to Buddhist monks for the injuries sustained during a police operation outside a copper mine nine days ago.

More than 50 people, including 20 monks, were injured when police tried to clear protesters who said local farmers had been forced off the land.

Injuries included severe burns blamed on incendiary devices thrown by police.

The raid last month was the toughest action since a more reformist government came to power last year.

The BBC’s South East Asia correspondent, Jonathan Head, says the apology reflects the government’s nervousness over the role of monks, who command high public respect.

They often take up political and social causes, bringing them into conflict with the authorities.

Joint venture

Religious Affairs Minister Myint Maung told a delegation of senior monks that the police regretted the injuries, which he blamed on the “incompetency” of the authorities.

He said the government would do its utmost to prevent such incidents happening again.

It has established a commission of inquiry, headed by opposition leader Aung Sung Suu Kyi.

She visited the area last Friday and demanded an apology for the monks.

Eight people have been charged in connection with the protests. They are being held in Insein prison in Rangoon.

The Monywa copper mine in northern Burma is a joint venture between a Chinese company and Myanmar Economic Holdings, owned by the Burmese military.

Hundreds of people are alleged to have been forced from their land to make way for a $1bn (£620m) expansion of the mine.

More than 7,800 acres (3,200 hectares) of land is being appropriated. Considerable damage to the environment is also reported.

Activists are calling for work at the project to be suspended to allow impact studies to be carried out, but China insists that the contentious points have already been resolved.

TAG CLOUD